We aim to make the selection process transparent and fair to all applicants.
The criteria for assessing applications are as follows; you may wish to use it as a checklist when working on your application:
1. Technical evaluation
- Respect of application deadline;
- Completion of all core fields;
- Eligibility for the target group applied;
- Eligibility for the level of mobility, whether study, research or staff;
- Inclusion of all requested documents/uploads for application type;
- If the previous Erasmus Mundus Action 2 or Erasmus Cooperation Window grant has been awarded to the applicant for the same type (level) of mobility or the applicant has received any previous grant though SECRET, the applicant will not be eligible.
2. Academic evaluation
- For students we will look at prior learning and performance - e.g. qualification to-date, latest transcript of records and language ability for host university* - entry is subject to the standard admission requirements for the course/subject area advertised by the host university. Every applicant will be assessed on a case-by-case basis;
- For researchers and academic staff we will look at career to-date (CV), list of publications, current researcher and/or teaching and language ability for host university;
- For non-academic staff (support, administrative, professional, and technical) we will look at career to-date current work capacity and language ability for host university.
*Please note that no additional documents are accepted after the deadline, except for additional official language certificates (TOEFL, IELTS etc.).
3. Study/Research/Work Plan and Motivation Statement
Your proposed Learning Agreement (for MSc) and Activity Plan (for other mobility levels) at the host university together with your motivational statement will be scrutinised against the priority subject areas of SECRET (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), subject on offer at the host university and the capacity of the host university to accommodate you.
4. The following criteria will also be taken into account:
- Gender balance;
- Commitment to contribute to the academic network of the Consortium (for Post-Doctorates and Staff);
- Prevention of the brain drain.
Reasons for unsuccessful application:
- Incomplete application: information or documents required for application are missing;
- Unfulfilled admission requirements (students): the admission requirements of the university/course/subject area are not fulfilled, including ability in the host language of instruction;
- Poor motivation;
- Profile of applicant does not match the advertised offer and/or capacity of the host university to host the candidate;
- The total evaluation score given by the host university was not high enough to be granted a scholarship: the applicant is not rejected initially, but there are applicants with a higher score are offered the scholarship
- The home Faculty/School/Department does not allow mobility at the time proposed in the application (this may be to do with the stage of your studies or workload);
- The host Faculty/School/Department does not allow mobility at the time proposed in the application (this may be to do with the stage of your studies or workload);
- The requested programme is not available for this project; the programme is no longer on offer or cannot except additional candidates;
- The applicant already obtained a scholarship for the same type of mobility under another project of the Erasmus Mundus Action 2 or Erasmus Cooperation Window.
Academic merit (0-25)
0 – Applicant doesn't fulfil academic requirements;
5 – Applicant fulfils academic requirements, but supportive documents indicate poor academic performance;
10 – Applicant fulfils academic requirements, supportive documents indicate sufficient academic performance;
15 – Applicant fulfils academic requirements, supportive documents indicate average academic performance;
20– Applicant fulfils academic requirements, supportive documents indicate above average academic performance;
25– Applicant fulfils academic requirements, supportive documents indicate excellent academic performance and other achievements.
Language capacity (0-10)
0 – Applicant doesn't fulfil language requirements;
10 – Applicant fulfils language requirements.
Learning Agreement/Activity Plan (0-10)
0 – Applicant doesn't provide completed and well considered LA/AP.;
10 – Applicant provides completed and well considered LA/AP.
Motivation and Recommendation (0-20)
0 – Applicant doesn't demonstrate motivation to take part in the SECRET project and the recommendation is only confirming the attitude;
10 – Applicant demonstrates motivation to take part in the SECRET project and the recommendation is only confirming the attitude;
20 - Applicant demonstrates very high motivation to take part in the SECRET project and the recommendation is only confirming the attitude.
Total score is out of 65 points.
1. Applicant must complete an on-line application form and submit it before the deadline announced at the project website. Only fully completed application forms will be accepted. We recommend that applicants indicate a second choice host university to increase the chance of obtaining the scholarship. Once submitted, the applicant will receive a confirmation e-mail with attached PDF file of their application form.
2. All applications will be technically evaluated to ensure eligibility of the candidates.
3. Application will be ranked according to the criteria given above. The university/ies applied to has/have the final word in the decision regarding applicant's acceptance. We would like to point out that selected host university has the right to not evaluate applicants picking that university as a second choice if there are more than five times as many applications as there are places available.
4. Coordinator of the SECRET project will make the final decision based on cross-cutting issues such as:
- Host University priorities;
- Target Groups;
- Type of Mobility;
- Gender balance;
- Geographical distribution;
- Economic status;
- Physical disabilities.
The highest ranked will be offered a scholarship.
5. All applicants will be informed by SECRET project Coordinator via e-mail about the results, including selected, reserve list and unsuccessful candidates.
6. Selected applicants have to start their mobility in the host university by the deadline per specific Cohort.